2015年4月9日 星期四

情態助動詞 Modals


Modal (情態動詞)auxiliaries(助動詞)的一種
它用來express speakers' attitudes, Modal可用來表達說話者的feelings,譬如
something is advisable, permissible, possible, or probable...



Modal auxiliaries in English 以下為情態助動詞
Can, could, will, would, shall, should, may, might, had better, must, ought to

Phrasal Modals 以下為情態助動詞片語
be able to, be going to, be supposed to, have to, have got to


Modal的基本認識
* They change the meaning of the verbs. (Modal 改變動詞的含義)
* Most Modals have more than one meaning or use. (大部分Modal有多於一種的含意或用法)
* We can use them in past, present, and future. There is always nuance. (Modal可用於過去式,現在式和未來式,但總是有些細微差別.)


Modal看起來很簡單,但如果你孤狗,會發現一狗票用法,一狗票他們之間的細微差別,我看得越多越頭大,所以,這裡我只列出我認為重要的,如果你願意頭痛的話,去孤狗,這個網頁很不錯,以前我ESL的老師,只要是lab time,就一定出一堆這裡的作業,沒事可以逛逛Good Luck!


* Modal is a type of verb that changes the meaning of the verb.
* Modal改變動詞的含義
由以下句子可知, 一樣是 educate their kids,用不同的Modal, 句意也改變了

Ex.1 Parents educate their kids. ===> fact
Ex.2 Parents should educate their kids. ===> It's a good idea.
Ex.3 Parents can educate their kids. ===> It's an option/ recommendation.
Ex.4 Parents would educate their kids if they had more time. ===> result of a condition.
Ex.5 Parents must educate their kids. ===> strong advice
Ex.6 Parents may/ might educate their kids. ===> maybe/ not sure


* Most Modals have more than one meaning or use.
*大部分Modal有多於一種的用法

Modal
Sentence(s)
Meaning(s)
Can
Exercise can reduce high blood pressure.
possibility

I cannot sing very well.
ability

You can make an appointment with a different doctor.
option

We can get our medication at the pharmacy later.
possibility

Can I make an appointment today?
request/ permission
Will
When you have a fever, your temperature will be higher than normal.
definite/ fact

The restaurant will be packed at this hour.
prediction/ guess/ possibility

I will take you to the doctor's office tomorrow.
willingness/ promise/ offer
May
They may be in the restaurant.
not very certain (can be/ could be)

May I sit here?
permission/ request
Might
There might be a long line outside the movie theater at this hour.
certainty (not very certain)
Should
She should stop smoking.
advice/ suggestion/ it's a good idea

She should be at the doctor's because she had an appointment at 4:00.
expectation/ certainty
Must
She must be sick since she's been absent so much.
almost definite

You must stop smoking so much if you want to get better.
necessity

Parents must send their kids to school.
strong obligation/ law
Need to
You need to make sure you get in to see the doctor today.
necessity
Have to
You have to exercise if you want to lose weight.
necessity

She has to be at the doctor's! That's where she told me she was going.
expectation
Ought to
They ought to exercise regularly.
advise/ suggestion
Had better
You had better get to the doctor quick.
warning
Would
I hoped the line outside the movie theater would be shorter.
The future in the past.

Would you call her for me?
request

If I weren't sick, I would go with you.
conditional




Most verbs have 12 forms: (大部分動詞有12種時態)


Simple
Progressive
Perfect
Perfect-progressive
Present
do/does
am/is/are
doing
has/have
done
has/have
been doing
Past
did
was/were
doing
had done
had been doing
Future
will do
will be doing
will have done
will have been doing


Most modals have only 4: (大部分   Modals只有4種時態)


Simple
Progressive
Present and Future
Modal + base form
He should study.
Modal + be + Ving
They should be studying.
Past
Modal + have + p.p.
He must have gone home.
Modal + have been + Ving
She might have been driving the Ferrari.


However 但是
Some have no past form : 以下沒有過去式
*canpermission的含義時
*will/could/would用於polite questions
*had betteradvisability的含義時
*must not表達prohibition



Some have different past form :
大部分情態助動詞的過去式為 Modal+ have+ pp, 但不包括以下三種情形
* can 的含意為ability , 過去是為could
* must 的含意為necessity, obligation , 過去是為 had to
* will 用於future in the past (過去式裡的未來式) ,will 改為 would.


The difference between can/ could
can/ could 的差別

Present
Past

Ability
can + base form
I can not use the new software because my computer does not have enough memory.
(I am not able to use the new software.)
could + base form
I could not use the new software because my computer did not have enough memory.
(I was not able to use the new software.)
Note:  can could 不可和
      be able to 一起使用
She can be able to come. ()
She can come. ()
She is able to come. ()
Permission
Polite questions
Can/ Could I use your camera?
Can/ Could I make an appointment?
No Past form

Possibility
can/ could + base form
The restaurant can be/ could be crowded at this hour.
could have + p.p.
The restaurant could have been crowded at that hour.

Option
can/ could + base form
You can/ could take the bus or drive.
could have + p.p.
You could have taken the bus or driven.
(這句過去式的意思是
You didn't take the bus or drive.)
Opportunity
can + base form
We can pick up our new puppy tomorrow.
(We have the opportunity to do this tomorrow.
could have + p.p.
We could have picked up our new puppy yesterday. (We had the opportunity to do so, but we didn't.)



大部分Modal的過去式為 Modal+ have+ pp, 但改為過去式時,很多時候句意也改變了,譬如:

*should : When you change to the past, the meaning changes.
現在式: should + base form
過去式: should have + p.p.

Ex. I should study more. (It's a good idea.)
Ex. I should have studied more. (Regret----> I didn't study more.)
Ex. You should have studied more. (blame/ suggestion----> You didn't study more.)


  
大部分Modal的過去式 : Modal + have + pp

Should've/ would've/ could've
這三個字母的 d've 發音為 dəv
(有時候我們會"自言自語"的說"should've would've could've",可能在嘲笑或後悔或婉惜一些該做而沒做或不該做而做的事)


*今天早上有一堂考試,我考得不好,因為我昨晚沒看書,
我昨晚應該要看書的
I had a test this morning. I didn't do well on the test because I didn't study for it last night. I should've studied last night.


*你應該傍晚就到達的,結果你拖到半夜才姍姍來遲,我們都很擔心
你應該打個電話跟我們說的
You were supposed to be here in the evening, but you didn't come until midnight. We were worried about you. You should've called us.


*我扭到腰了,我真不該抬那麼重的箱子 or 抬那箱子時,我應該更小心點 or
我應該找人幫忙抬那箱子
My back hurts. I shouldn't have carried that heavy box.
I could've been more careful while carrying the box.
I could've asked for help to carry the box.


*昨晚看的那場電影,簡直是浪費時間和金錢, 真不該去看那場電影的
We went to a movie last night, but it was a waste of time and money. We shouldn't have gone to the movie.


*我破產了,因為我花錢不用腦袋,我花錢時真該聰明點
I am broke now because I spent all my money foolishly. I should've spent my money wisely.


*我整天待在家裡玩電動,現在我全身關節都僵在那,現在想想,
我寧願我去公園走一走
I stayed home playing computer games all day long today. Now my whole body is stiff. Come to think of it, I would rather have gone to the park and taken a walk.


*A:我昨天在學校到處都找不到他,你知不知道他在哪?
A: I couldn't find him anywhere in school yesterday. Do you have any idea where he was?
B:他在家 He was home. (100% certainty)
C:他一定是待在家裡 He must have stayed at home. (95% certainty)
D:他有可能待在家裡 He might have stayed at home.
                                      He may have stayed at home.
                                      He could have stayed at home.
                                      (這三句less than 50% certainty)


Must的用法: must的過去式有兩種
1.  當must的意思為  obligation或necessity時,過去式為had to
(這種情況時,決不可用 must have+ pp)
Ex. I must get a driver license. (現在式)
      I had to get a driver license. (過去式)
Ex. You must wear your seat belt. (現在式)
      You had to wear your seat belt. (過去式)


2. 當must的意思為 certainty時,過去式為 must have + pp 或 had to 
Ex. She must be tired after the race. (現在式)
   以下兩個過去式,意義相同
   She must have been tired after the race.
   She had to be tired after the race.
Ex. She must be at home (because her car is there). (現在式)
   以下兩個過去式,意義相同
   She must have been at home (because her car was there).
   She had to be at home (because her car was there).


3. 當must 的意思為 prohibition 時, 用於否定句,沒有過去式
Ex. You must not look in the closet. Your birthday present is hidden there.
   you must not tell anyone my secret. Do you promise?
   (mustn't 第一個t不發音)



p3
It must have been (certainty in the past) a trick of the light.

Mr. Dursley was enraged to see that a couple of them weren't young at all; why, that man had to be (certainty)older than he was, and wearing an emerald-green cloak!

p10
I must have passed (certainty in the past) a dozen feasts and parties on my way here."

p12
It must have made (certainty in the past) sense to Dumbledore, though, because he put it back in his pocket and said, "Hagrid's late. I suppose it was he who told you I'd (certainty) be here, by the way?"

p15
He bent his great, shaggy head over Harry and gave him what must have been (certainty in the past)a very scratchy, whiskery kiss.

Would 當 Future in the past 時的用法 
將下列句子從 the future in the present 改為 the future in the past

1. I hope I will be able to get a doctor's appointment.
===> I hoped I would be able to get a doctor's appointment.

2. I imagine she will get better soon.
===> I imagined she would get better soon.

3. I think they will be in the waiting room when we get there.
===> I thought they would be in the waiting room when we got there.

4. I guess they will have to wait for the doctor to get here.
===> I guessed they would have to wait for the doctor to get there.

5. They figure that the medical cost will be outrageous.
===> They figured that the medical cost would be outrageous.

6. We hope they will have enough time to get medication before the pharmacy closes.
===> We hoped they would have enough time to get medication before the pharmacy closed.

7. I wonder if they will be able to see a doctor this late in the evening.
===> I wondered if they would be able to see a doctor that late in the evening.

8. I can't imagine she will be able to walk soon after breaking her leg last week.
===> I couldn't imagine she would be able to walk soon after breaking her leg last week (that week).


ought to 的過去式為ought to + have + pp
Advisability
Ex. I ought to study tonight. (現在式)
   I ought to have studied last night, but I didn't. (過去式)

90% certainty/ expectation
Ex. She ought to do well on the test tomorrow. (現在式/未來式)
   She ought to have done well on the test yesterday. (過去式)

had better 沒有過去式 
advisability with threat of bad result
Ex. You had better be on time tomorrow, or I'll fire you.
   You had better tell your mother the truth, or you'll be in big trouble..

Harry Potter 第一章裡的例句
p15
Well -- give him here, Hagrid -- we'd better (advisability) get this over with."

be supposed to 的過去式為 was/ were supposed to
Ex. I'm supposed to be in class at 8:45. (我得用跑的了,要不然我會遲到)
   I was supposed to be in class at 8:45. (可是我遲到了or...翹課)
Ex. He is supposed to go to Hawaii. (這是他的計畫)
   He was supposed to go to Hawaii. (他沒去,計畫改變了)


作業: Modal errors
What's wrong with these sentences? 請訂正下列各句 (60%)
1. I have not seen my neighbor for a week. She can be out of town.

2. In order to be successful, a person must has the determination to achieve goals.

3. I cannot find my favorite pen. I must leave it at home.

4. My email did not go through. I should have forgotten to press "send."

5. When we arrived, Lily was not at the station. She must had forgotten that we were coming at 3:00.

 6. Mick told me that he can play the trumpet at age five.

7. Linda cans not drive.

8. Stephanie might bought a new car.

9. John should buys the book.

10. I should not be spending so much time on video games last week.

11. The research could have important results last year.

12. We ought to have asked Sophie to help us next week.

13. My brother might be calling me while I was in class last night.

14. I might register to vote if I want to vote in the next election.
   (在美國,一定要先register to vote, 選舉時才有投票權)

15. Mary said that she will help me with the research.

16. I didn't stop at the store because I must have stayed late at the office.

17. The bus is really late today. It might have broke down.

18. I am supposed to go to the meeting, but I was sick.

19. I should not had asked her opinion.

20. A: Where has Amy gone?
   B: I'm not sure. She may have going to the bank.



填充題: (40%) 這是一本雜誌裡的文章,我從Longman Grammar Express節錄下來的
Regret...

It's not unusual to feel regret about things in the past that you think you ___________
(should/ do) and did not do--- or the opposite, about things you did do and feel you
________________ (should/ do). In fact, we learn by thinking about past mistakes. For example, a student who fails a test learns that he or she ______________ (should/ study) more and can improve on the next test. Often, however, people spend too much time thinking about what they _____________ (could/ do) differently. Many regrets are simply not based in fact. A mother regrets missing a football game in which her son's leg was injured. " I _______________ (ought to/ go)," she keeps telling herself. "I _________________ (should/ stay) home. I __________________ (could/ prevent) the injury. The officials ________ at least _______________ (might/ call) me as soon as it happened." Did she really have the power to prevent her son's injury? ________ the officials ______________ (should/ contact) her before looking at the injury? No, of course, they ____________. There is an Italian proverb that says, "When the ship has sunk, everyone knows how they ________________ (could/ save) it." It's easy to second guess about the past: The real challenge is to solve the problems you face right now.





Answer key
作業: Modal errors
What's wrong with these sentences? 請訂正下列各句 (60%)
1. I have not seen my neighbor for a week. She can be out of town.
                                                                   could have been
2. In order to be successful, a person must has the determination to achieve goals.
                                                                   have
3. I cannot find my favorite pen. I must leave it at home.
                                                             have left
4. My email did not go through. I should have forgotten to press "send."
                                                       could
5. When we arrived, Lily was not at the station. She must had forgotten that we were coming at 3:00.                                                                                               have
6. Mick told me that he can play the trumpet at age five.
                                    could
7. Linda cans not drive.
               can
8. Stephanie might bought a new car.
                    buy have bought
9. John should buys the book.
            buy have bought
10. I should not be spending so much time on video games last week.
                         have spent
11. The research could have important results last year.
                                have had
12. We ought to have asked Sophie to help us next week.
                                ask
13. My brother might be calling me while I was in class last night.
                                 have called
14. I might register to vote if I want to vote in the next election.
   (在美國,一定要先register to vote, 選舉時才有投票權)
       should
15. Mary said that she will help me with the research.
                                  would
16. I didn't stop at the store because I must have stayed late at the office.
                                                              had to stay
17. The bus is really late today. It might have broke down.
                                                                        broken
18. I am supposed to go to the meeting, but I was sick.
        was
19. I should not had asked her opinion.
                          have
20. A: Where has Amy gone?
   B: I'm not sure. She may have going to the bank.
                                                     gone


填充題:  (40%)
Regret...

It's not unusual to feel regret about things in the past that you think you should have done (should/ do) and did not do--- or the opposite, about things you did do and feel you shouldn't have done (should/ do). In fact, we learn by thinking about past mistakes. For example, a student who fails a test learns that he or she should have studied (should/ study) more and can improve on the next test. Often, however, people spend too much time thinking about what they could have done (could/ do) differently. Many regrets are simply not based in fact. A mother regrets missing a football game in which her son's leg was injured. " I ought to have gone (ought to/ go)," she keeps telling herself. "I shouldn't have stayed (should/ stay) home. I could have prevented (could/ prevent) the injury. The officials might at least have called (might/ call) me as soon as it happened." Did she really have the power to prevent her son's injury? Should the officials have contacted (should/ contact) her before looking at the injury? No, of course, they shouldn't have. There is an Italian proverb that says, "When the ship has sunk, everyone knows how they could have saved (could/ save) it." It's easy to second guess about the past: The real challenge is to solve the problems you face right now. 





下面這個link為第一章裡所有含Modal的句子 Most of the explanations I had in the parentheses were my opinions. You might have a different view. However, the most important thing is so you understand what modals can do.
所有括弧內的註解,都是我主觀的想法,你可能不贊成,譬如第十頁的一個句子:
I'll bet that was Dedalus Diggle. 我認為willspeculation, 你可能認為是assumption, 他可能認為是suggestion,但這都無所謂,我們不是J. K. Rowling, 誰曉得她是怎麼認為的,重點是你能瞭解Modals的用法,如果你能像我一樣耐著性子,拿一份第一章的底稿,將所有含modal的句子找出來,三不五時試試看換一個modal,是不是它的含意就不同了?你會發現其樂無窮(或苦中作樂?)哈哈,文字真美!

  
  






沒有留言:

張貼留言